Friday, August 24, 2012

3 week update!

I can't believe how long it has been since I have updated this!  Time is flying.  It's amazing how much free time I had at the hospital.  This blog kept me sane.  I had so many emotions that I needed to get out and I couldn't bring myself to say them out loud so it felt better to just write them.  Since we have been home I feel like I have not had any free time!  Also, I do not want to jinx us!  I have had so many people ask about how he is doing so I figured I would update this.  I want to try to keep it up because I do enjoy it and one day I think it will be fun (or embarrassing) for Lincoln to read.  I would love to read a blog my mom wrote while I was little but then again I am afraid what she would have said about me, haha!

Well, trying to make sure Lincoln doesn't hit his head is a full time job.  How do you keep a one year old who has just started walking from falling every ten minutes?  The answer is you don't!  He falls but luckily no big ones.  Feeding him seems to be another task I need to work on.  This kid wants to eat every two hours and he eats a lot. . a lot, a lot.  I think he eats as much as I ate while I was pregnant. It wasn't pretty.  His little body must be trying to gain back that pound he lost in the hospital!  I am running out of things to make him and for those of you who know me know I am never going to be a chef.  Once I even messed up Mac & Cheese .. I think it was described as "Mac & Butter."  Do not worry, I have since perfected this recipe.  It's a good thing Logan likes to cook or we would all probably starve.  Don't judge me!  I am a really good cleaner, sometimes.  

The first week home was a little rough.  Lincoln acted like he was in a lot of pain but I wonder now if it was really pain or him just being anxious.  We took him to his one year appointment and I thought he was going to throw a fit but he played it cool, such a tough guy!  Our pediatrician saw that he was getting a molar in so that probably contributed to the fussiness.  I think she was still a little shocked that he had to have the surgery.  His head just didn't look as bad as the severe cases.  When this condition is mild I think it can go undiagnosed for years.  I am so thankful that was not the case for Lincoln.  His incision looks fabulous.  It looks like someone just drew a red line across his head.  Once his hair is all grown in I don't think you will even be able to see it but to be honest the scar is like the least of my worries.  I am more worried that he will need a repeat surgery.  The chances of that are less than 2% though.  The only reason he would need another surgery is if his skull wouldn't fuse together or if the skull re calcified in that area.  I will just die if he needs another one.  Seriously, I can't do it again.  As amazing as he is doing now, it was just too hard.  Looking back at the pictures of him in the hospital makes my stomach physically hurt.  I am so glad we are on "the other side" of surgery.  The doctor said it may take up to 12 weeks or longer for all the swelling to go away around his eyes.  We will continue to see Dr. Kelly until Lincoln is 5 or 6.        
During surgery they put three different plates in Lincoln's head.  Two on each side and one in front.  These plates helped opened up his soft spot and will allow his brain and skull to grow the way they need to.  After about two years these plates will have dissolved and hopefully his skull will be fused together just like it should be.  At that point, he will not have anything in his skull that you or I do not have.  

My friend took some pictures of Lincoln's birthday party which was the night before surgery.  I had not seen them until yesterday and they made me so sad.  He looks like a totally different baby.  I know he is still the same baby and all the swelling has not gone down yet but it still is hard.  It's hard to explain.  I will just be happy when we can go places and people won't look at him like "What the bleep happened to you?!"  We are pretty sure he enjoys the attention though.  Since we have been home Lincoln has learned to eat with a spoon, give himself a drink from a real cup, color, stack blocks, scream like a girl and....... GIVE KISSES!!!  If all of you were here he would give you a big wet one too!  He is not shy.  Thank you all again for the thoughts and prayers.  We are so lucky to have you all and to have our sweet boy home.  I will put some new pictures and updates up soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment